Company becomes one of the first retailers to significantly lower out-of-pocket healthcare costs, in partnership with several healthcare companies
Sam’s Club has always been more than just a retailer. For years our members have enjoyed a curated assortment of products and services designed to deliver value in unexpected ways. At the same time, we’re a trusted provider of health and wellness services through our pharmacies, which have been ranked highest in Customer Satisfaction among Mass Merchandiser Pharmacies in J.D. Power’s U.S. Pharmacy Study for four consecutive years.
Today we’re building on this foundation of trust and are proud to use our scale and relationships with quality healthcare companies like Humana, 98point6 and Quest Diagnostics to make healthcare more affordable for members. We’re calling this program the Sam’s Club Care Accelerator Together with Humana, and it will give access to affordable options with transparent pricing on everyday healthcare services.
Navigating the healthcare system is expensive. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the average dollar contribution for healthcare for families has increased 21 percent since 2013 and 65 percent since 2008. At the same time, 67 percent of Americans say it is difficult to determine what a treatment or procedure will cost.
The Care Accelerator* is designed to solve these problems, especially for our members who shoulder a higher burden of healthcare costs, like small businesses owners or those with high deductible plans. Through a series of bundled healthcare services, members will save money on their most common healthcare service needs, including primary care, dental, optical and alternative medicine. We will test this program in Michigan, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, with the potential to expand to all members in the future.
Here’s how it works:
- Beginning in early October, members in these states visit www.samsclub.com/care and choose from one of four bundles ranging from $50 to $240 per year.
- Each bundle offers free prescriptions on certain generic medications. The number of free select generics available ranges from 5 to 20 of the most popular medications, depending on the bundle selected.
- The bundles offer opportunities to save on dental services with a trusted network of providers through Humana, on unlimited telehealth for only $1 per visit through 98point6, as well as on vision exams and optical products.
- The family bundle, at $240 per year, covers up to six family members and also includes access to a preventative health screening from Quest Diagnostics that measures key health indicators for early detection of heart disease and diabetes. It also includes up to a 30% discount on chiropractic, massage therapy and acupuncture services, and a 10% discount on hearing aids.
- All four bundles include prepaid health debit cards to be used within the health services network of $5, $40 and $100, respectively, effectively lowering the total investment to $45, $60 or $140, depending on the bundle selected.
- *Care Accelerator is not a health insurance plan, but a discount health program. Care Accelerator members will be responsible for paying the provider the discounted rate at the time of service.
Access to high-quality maintenance healthcare has been shown to improve overall, long-term health. We believe this program will help our members decrease out-of-pocket costs so they can better manage their budgets and their health. We’ll use member feedback to add new benefits and features to our Care Accelerator offering.