Actor/Comedian/Entrepreneur Kevin Hart stars alongside warehouse club’s popular Scan & GoTM service in :30 Spot
BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 19, 2022 - Sam’s Club, a division of Walmart Inc. and a leading membership warehouse club, is debuting its first big game ad with the help of comedian and actor Kevin Hart alongside his Laugh Out Loud Network. The ad is part of a campaign on gameday highlighting Sam’s Club’s "VIP-worthy" services and merchandise.
"The timing was right for us," said Tony Rogers, Chief Member Officer, Sam’s Club. "Sam’s Club has had extraordinary momentum through our last reported quarter; in Q3 we recorded our seventh consecutive of double-digit comps and reported that membership is at an all-time high. It was time for us to highlight our brand on a bigger stage, and the biggest football game of the year gives us the perfect opportunity to reach an incredibly diverse audience of viewers."
Sam’s Club is strategically focused on delivering convenience to its members through digitally-enabled shopping experiences, so the warehouse club is using its airtime to highlight Scan & Go, its popular in-app shopping feature that lets members scan products and skip the checkout line when shopping in club.
The ad showcases Hart shopping under the assumption that he’s receiving a VIP experience because of his celebrity status. Unbeknownst to him, he’s using a service available for members with the Sam’s Club app. The :30 second commercial will air at the two-minute warning in the fourth quarter.
Sam’s Club will carry the VIP theme into gameday by giving fans a chance to score like a VIP. Full details will be shared when the full ad is revealed in a few weeks.
"We’re having a great time with the VIP campaign, and with our partnership with Kevin," added Rogers. "Sam’s Club is a fun place to shop, and we wanted that to translate in the work that we’re doing with Kevin and in the creative ways we’ll engage with viewers during the game."
The ad was created by Sam’s Club’s creative agency VMLY&R with creative ideation from Hart and LOL Studios. For multimedia assets, including a teaser for the ad, review the Press Kit.
- Client: Sam’s Club
- Production Company: Radical Media
- Creative Collaboration
- Kevin Hart
- Thai Randolph - President & COO of Hartbeat and Laugh Out Loud Network
- Tina Maher - VP, Integrated Marketing, Laugh Out Loud Network
- Joshua Smith - Creative Strategist, Laugh Out Loud Network
- Debbi Vandeven – Global Chief Creative Officer, VMLY&R
- John Godsey – Chief Creative Officer, North America, VMLY&R
- Sherman Winfield – Executive Creative Director, VMLY&R
- James Beikmohamadi – Executive Creative Director, VMLY&R
- Justin Ebert – Executive Creative Director, VML&&R
- Niraj Zaveri – Executive Creative Director, VMLY&R
- Anna Taylor – Creative Director, VMLY&R
- Daniel Sanders – Creative Director, VMLY&R
- Shaun Campbell – Executive Producer, VMLY&R
- Terry Miglin – Senior Production Business Manager, VMLY&R
- Jessalynn Haas – Senior Production Business Manager, VMLY&R
- Michelle Sanchez – Senior Talent Manager, VMLY&R
- Dawn Kerr – Senior Talent Manager, VMLY&R
- Ian Davidson – Chief Strategy Officer, VMLY&R
- Juan Mantilla – Managing Director, Strategy and Insights, VMLY&R
- Kirin Matarasso – Senior Strategist, VMLY&R
- Andrew Snow – Connections Director, VMLY&R
- Jasmyn Franks – Connections Supervisor, VMLY&R
- Nicole Friesema – Senior Campaign Program Manager, VMLY&R
- Client Engagement
- Jen McDonald – Chief Client Officer, North America, VMLY&R
- Jordan Cochran – Managing Director, VMLY&R
- Heather Chappell – Group Director, VMLY&R
- Bailey Lang – Director, VMLY&R
- David Farley - Associate Director, VMLY&R
- Blake Correll – Account Manager, VMLY&R
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club®, a division of Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is a leading membership warehouse club offering superior products, savings and services to millions of members in nearly 600 clubs in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Now in its 39th year, Sam’s Club continues to redefine warehouse shopping with its highly curated assortment of high-quality fresh food and Member’s Mark items, in addition to market leading technologies and services like Scan & Go, Curbside Pickup and home delivery service in select markets. To learn more about Sam’s Club, visit the Sam’s Club Newsroom, shop at samsclub.com, and interact with Sam’s Club on Twitter and Facebook.
About Laugh Out Loud
Laugh Out Loud is a comedy brand and multi-platform entertainment company dedicated to keeping the world laughing together. Founded by comedian, actor, and producer Kevin Hart, LOL delivers the best in comedic content and experiences across its multiple divisions—LOL Audio, LOL Network, LOL Studios, and LOLX. From stand-up legends to the next generation of comedic talent, LOL curates comedy’s boldest voices to produce original scripted and unscripted series, stand-up specials, radio shows and podcasts, live broadcasts, experiential activations, and more. LOL content is distributed to a diverse, global audience of more than 100 million fans across the LOL OTT Network of FAST Channel partners including Pluto, Peacock, Tubi, Roku, Xumo, Redbox, and more. LOL Audio has access to an additional 100 million listeners via partnerships with SiriusXM, Stitcher, and Pandora. Known for content such as Cold As Balls, What the Fit, Comedy in Color, Die Hart, and more, the company has amassed more than 1 billion video views across its digital platforms, and has worked with brand partners such as AT&T, Headspace, Lyft, Old Spice, P&G, Viacom, and more. Find us online at laughoutloud.com or on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube, and Snapchat via @lolnetwork.