The warehouse retailer is wrapping the holidays in more creativity to reach its target member
BENTONVILLE, Ark. Nov. 17, 2022 – Sam's Club is ringing in the holidays in theaters across the country this year as it introduces new ways to reach shoppers across media channels and social platforms throughout the season. The warehouse retailer is distributing the movie trailer "Merry Like This" starring actor and comedian Kevin Hart beginning Friday, Nov. 18. The two-minute film will run in 1,700 theaters across the country including AMC, Cinemark, Regal and Skylight.
Produced by Hart’s global, multi-platform media company, Hartbeat, the trailer is set in the holidays and depicts Hart being faced with unexpected house guests, including his daughter’s new boyfriend (played by Marcus Scribner) who brings a new appreciation for the word ‘merry’. The movie kicks off the brand’s "Merry Like This" campaign created by agency VMLY&R, which also includes the release of a holiday song written and recorded by singer, songwriter Kirby. The single, which is also the music track for the movie trailer, is available across digital music platforms.
Our members tell us that they rely on Sam’s Club to deliver the moments that make their holidays meaningful. With "Merry Like This" we’re celebrating our members and their favorite ways to spread joy this season – whether they’re decorating, hosting, cooking, or gifting. Our 360-degree campaign amplifies their holiday celebrations and brings the content to them in new and different channels.
Expanded Live Shopping Events
Complementing the film and music single is Sam’s Club’s expansion of its live shopping events. While Sam’s Club has hosted live shopping in the past, this marks the first time it’s taking a multi-channel approach across social media. The brand also launched a live shopping platform, samsclubshoplive.com, to support its streamed shopping strategy. Its first seasonal shopping event was filmed in Salt Lake City, tapping influencers from the area and outside of the state to connect with members and attract the attention of prospective shoppers. Sam’s Club will host an additional live shopping event to support Black Friday beginning at 11pm CT on Thursday, Nov. 24.
"We know our members love the treasure hunt of coming into our clubs and discovering new items, but also understand that shopping is a social experience as well," said Ashley Gibbs, Vice President, Marketing, Sam’s Club. "Our motivation to ramp up our shopping events and social strategy is built around interaction and inspiration. We know that when shoppers see our products outside of the club environment they come to life in an entirely new way, and it’s been exciting to see the positive reaction."
Holiday Hub Showcases Savings Events & Holiday Inspiration
Sam’s Club is making it easier than ever for members to take advantage of its savings events while also giving them gifting inspiration. The brand launched a Holiday Hub in October that gives visitors an easy roadmap to plan their holiday shopping. The digital experience showcases its savings events each month through December, highlights holiday hours, shipping cutoff and sweepstakes, and provides quick links to entertaining, décor and gifting pages.
Sam’s Club has six more savings events planned for November and December, giving its members access to more deals on its Member’s Mark private label items and name brand products. While Sam’s Club is always focused on providing quality products at incredible value, helping members do more for less during the holidays is another way it can help ease stress on shoppers' wallets. Savings events include:
- November Instant Savings: Now through Nov. 23
- Black Friday ThanksSavings: Nov. 24-27
- Cyber Savings: Nov. 27-30
- December Instant Savings: Nov. 30 – Dec. 24
- December Savings Event: Dec. 3-7
- Curbside Savings Event: Dec. 10-23
The retailer hopes to bring merry moments to its members who are engaging with its shopping app with its first Scan & Go holiday sweepstakes. Not only does the app allow you to skip the traditional checkout, but when you use Scan & Go during the holidays it also gives you a chance to win. One winner per club will be announced each week, winning the amount of their transaction up to $500. One grand prize winner, one first prize winner and one second prize winner will also each be awarded prizes of $50,000, $25,000 or $10,000 plus a lifetime membership to Sam’s Club.*
Sam’s Club is giving “Merry Like This” moviegoers a chance to literally ring in the holidays through its Merry Like This sweepstakes. Playing into the trailer’s storyline that includes a surprising proposal, the sweepstakes gives someone a chance to win a ring and Sam’s Club Plus membership. Information about the sweepstakes will be available where the movie is playing and via http://www.merrylikethis.com. The contest ends on Dec. 22.*
Sam’s Club will be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, giving members time to celebrate with their families. It will have extended shopping hours from Nov. 20 through Dec. 24, staying open on Sundays until 8 p.m. It will be open on Christmas Eve until 6 p.m. Sam’s Club’s shipping cutoff deadline is Dec. 18.
*SWEEPSTAKES ABBREVIATED RULES: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Void outside the 50 U.S./D.C./Puerto Rico and where prohibited.
- The Scan & Go Holiday Sweepstakes starts 10/20/22 at 12:00 a.m. PT and ends on 12/7/22 at 11:59 p.m. PT. and is open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and D.C. and Puerto Rico, age 18+ or the age of majority in the jurisdiction where they live. To enter with a Sam’s Club membership using the Scan & Go app, download the Sam’s Club app, go to Sam’s Club and, shop, then use the Scan & Go app to pay and check out. Or, to enter without making a purchase through the app, hand write your name, home address, phone number, email and birth date on a 3x5 card and mail it to Sam’s Club Scan and Go Giveaway, c/o Merkle Inc., P.O. Box 5161 Department 855031, Kalamazoo, MI 49003-5161, USA. Total ARV of all prizes: $2,189,500. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. Limit 1 entry per day. For full rules, visit samsclub.com/sweeps. Sponsor: Sam’s West, Inc.
- The Merry Like This Sweepstakes starts 11/18/22 at 12:00 a.m. PT; ends on 12/22/22 at 11:59 p.m. PT and is open to legal residents of the 48 Contiguous U.S. and D.C., age 18+ or the age of majority in the jurisdiction where they live. To enter, scan the sweepstakes QR code on the “Merry Like This” Kevin Hart movie standee; you will be directed to a mobile web page where you can follow the instructions to enter. Or, to enter without scanning a QR code, visit http://www.merrylikethis.com and follow the instructions. One grand prize: a ring and a Sam’s Club Plus membership for one year. ARV: $8,715. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received. Limit 1 entry per day. For full rules, visit http://www.merrylikethis.com. Sponsor: Sam’s West, Inc.
About Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club®, a division of Walmart Inc. (NYSE: WMT), is a leading membership warehouse club offering superior products, savings and services to millions of members in nearly 600 clubs in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. Now in its 39th year, Sam’s Club continues to redefine warehouse shopping with its highly curated assortment of high-quality fresh food and Member’s Mark items, in addition to market leading technologies and services like Scan & Go, Curbside Pickup and home delivery service in select markets. To learn more about Sam's Club, visit the Sam's Club Newsroom, shop at SamsClub.com, and interact with Sam's Club on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and TikTok.
Founded by Kevin Hart, Hartbeat is the global, multi-platform media company creating entertainment at the intersection of comedy and culture with a mission to keep the world laughing together. HARTBEAT delivers comedy through its three divisions: Hartbeat Studios, which finances, develops and produces innovative content; Hartbeat Media, which connects with consumers around the world through events and the company’s expansive distribution network; and PULSE, the company’s branded entertainment studio that serves as a creative and cultural consultancy to brand. Hartbeat’s flagship consumer brand, the LOL! Network, reaches audiences across its O&O social media, audio, and OTT partners.
Led by an award-winning team, Hartbeat is a valuable partner to the biggest entertainment companies, platforms and brands in the world, driving cultural currency and generating sales, subscriptions, buzz, and conversation with some of the most coveted audiences.
- John Godsey, CCO, North America
- Sherman Winfield, Executive Creative Director
- James Beikmohamadi, Executive Creative Director
- Anna Taylor, Creative Director
- Daniel Sanders, Creative Director
- Alice Jankowski (Group Creative Director)
- Erin Fillingim, Associate Creative Director
- Evan Miguel, Associate Creative Director
- Kara Nelson, Managing Director Client Engagement
- Heather Chappell, Group Director Client Engagement
- Megan Bartolac, Senior Account Manager
- Tatyana Burtman, Business Affairs
- Nicole Friesema, Senior Campaign Program Manager
- Theresa Notartomaso, Executive Music Producer
- Karli James - Music Production Assistant
- Pam Pietrowski, Executive Producer
- Tyler Smith, Executive Producer
- Gordon Corte, Senior Talent Manager
Milk & Honey Silo
- Jack Ormandy - Co-Founder Milk & Honey Silo
- Lucas Keller - Co-Founder Milk & Honey Silo
- Meirav Savyon - Head Of Creative Licensing
- AJ Jiron - Creative & Licensing Manager
- “Merry Like This” Performed by KIRBY. Written by KIRBY and ALLISTER X. Produced by ALLISTER X.
- Thai Randolph - CEO
- Brian Price - SVP, Head of Branded Content and Creative Strategy
- Steve Loguidice - SVP, Head of Partnerships
- Ty Walker - SVP, Head of Physical Production
- Tina Maher - VP, Integrated Marketing and Monetization