- What Privacy Protections Apply to Specific Types of Personal Information?
- What Is Our Pledge of Accountability?
- What Types of Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
- How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
- How Do We Share Your Personal Information Outside of Sam’s Club?
- What Are Your Choices?
- How Do You Access and Update Your Personal Information?
- How Do We Secure Your Personal Information?
- What Are Your California Privacy Rights?
- How Will I Know if this Policy changes?
- Description of new rights available to California consumers under the California Consumer Privacy Act
- Clarifying our practice not to sell personal information for monetary consideration
- Clarifying how personal information is shared for advertising related activities
At Sam’s Club, our member is number one. That’s why everything we do is focused on providing excellent service and delivering low prices.
The information you share with Sam’s Club allows us to provide the products and services you want and need while giving you the very best shopping experience.
Our founder, Sam Walton, reminded us that “a promise we make is a promise we keep,” and it’s our promise to members that we respect the trust you place in us and the privacy of the information you share with us. Part of providing superior member service includes making sure that we’re building a relationship of trust with members. Our way of doing that is to let you know in a clear, prominent, and easily accessible way just how we collect, use, share, and – above all – protect your personal information.
Our Policy outlines:
- How and why we collect your personal information.
- How your personal information is used and protected.
- When and with whom we share your personal information.
- What choices you can make about how we collect, use, and share your personal information.
Our Policy covers how and why we collect, use, share and protect your personal information:
- Within Sam’s Club in the United States and Puerto Rico, and
- On our websites and mobile services where this Policy is posted.
Our Policy focuses on personal information – information that identifies you or reasonably can be linked to information that identifies you.
For example, when you purchase a membership or place an order online, we collect personal information, such as name, address, phone number, and credit or debit card information.
We have specific privacy notices that explain the information practices that apply to our specialized operations. See “What Privacy Protections Apply to Specific Types of Personal Information?” section for more information.
What Privacy Protections Apply to Specific Types of Personal Information?
Our specific privacy notices for our specialized operations include:
- Our Health & Wellness operation (pharmacy and optical) which uses patient health information as described in the health services Notice of Privacy Practices. Review the Notice of Privacy Practices for the information practices specific to patient health information.
What Is Our Pledge of Accountability?
We require our associates, business partners, and service providers to manage your personal information properly.
We have designated a team of trained associates who are responsible for helping to ensure compliance with this Policy. We require all those who manage members’ personal information to do so properly and in accordance with our policies.
What Types of Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
We collect information to deliver the products and services you request, to help improve your shopping experience, and to support our business functions. We collect information from you in a variety of ways when you interact with our Clubs, websites, and mobile services.
What Information Do We Collect
We may collect the following categories of personal information. Not all categories may be collected about every individual:
- Personal identifiers, such as name and address
- Device and online identifiers and related information, such as telephone number and email address
- Internet, application, and network activity, such as cookie IDs and browser visits
- Government identifiers, such as national identification numbers and driver’s license numbers
- Demographic information, such as age and date of birth
- Financial information, such as credit and debit card numbers and claims information
- Health and health insurance information, such as prescription numbers and health insurance identification numbers
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as gender and nationality
- Purchase history information, such as products you have bought, rented, and returned
- Location information, such as geo-location information
- Audio, visual, and other sensory information, such as audio and video recordings
- Employment information, such as occupation, title, licenses and professional memberships
- Education information, such as degree and schooling information
- Individual preferences and characteristics, such as inferences related to shopping patterns and behaviors
How Do We Collect Information
We collect information from you in two ways: (1) information we receive from you and (2) information we receive from others. Information we receive from you includes: i) information you actively share with us, such as when you create an account on one of our websites, and ii) information you provide us passively through technology, such as through a cookie placed on your computer when you visit our websites. We also receive information from other sources to help us supplement our records, improve the personalization of our service to you, and detect fraud. Our goal is to limit the information we collect to the information needed to support our business.
Information We Receive From You
You actively share information with us in various ways in our Clubs and online. For example, you share information when you:
- Sign up for a Sam’s Club membership;
- Make an online or in-Club purchase, Club Pickup order, or other transaction, from us;
- Create an account on one of our websites or mobile services;
- Conduct a transaction or request a service (including when required by law, such as purchasing certain cough and cold medications);
- Request member service or contact us;
- Post a review or comment on one of our social media pages, or post a rating, review or other user-generated content on one of our websites or mobile services;
- Participate in a contest, sweepstake, promotion, or survey; or
- Use features of our websites and mobile services that may ask you to grant us access to the camera or microphone on your computer or mobile device (such as voice search or scanning bar codes).
When you engage in these activities, you may share different types of personal information with us, such as your name, email address, physical or postal address, phone number, date of birth, and payment information.
You also passively provide us information in other ways through technology. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. This information helps our websites and mobile services work correctly and supports our member marketing and analytics efforts – our work to understand our members’ needs and provide information about our products and services. Here are some examples:
- Device Information: We collect technical information when you visit our websites or use our mobile applications or services. This includes information such as Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of mobile device you use, your device operating system and browser type, a unique device identifier, the address of referring websites, the path you take through our websites, and information about your session on our websites.
- Browsing Information: We use our own and third party technologies such as cookies, web beacons, and mobile device identifiers to collect information about the use of our websites and mobile services. We use these tools to provide an integrated and more personalized shopping experience for you. For example: cookies allow us to provide you relevant information as you use or return to our sites. Web beacons allow us to know if a certain page was visited, an email was opened, or if ad banners on our websites and other sites were effective. Under certain circumstances, we permit third parties to collect information on our websites for their own business purposes using cookies, web beacons, iframes and similar technologies.
- Precise Device Location Information: We may collect information about your location when your device is set to provide location information. For example, your device’s GPS signal allows us to show you the nearest Sam’s Club. We may be able to recognize the location of a mobile device in Clubs where we provide members free WiFi access or through the use of Bluetooth technology. Through mobile services, Bluetooth technology in our Clubs allows us to show you nearby products that may interest you, making it easier for you to locate products within and navigate through the store. See “What Are Your Choices?” below for more information.
- Facility Cameras: We operate cameras in Club for security and operational purposes, for example, to help us improve the design of our Clubs to better serve our members.
Information We Receive From Other Sources
We receive personal information about you from other sources to help us to correct or supplement our records, improve the quality or personalization of our services and marketing to you, and prevent or detect fraud. We collect personal information from consumer reporting agencies in conjunction with products or services that involve financial risk to Sam’s Club, such as transactions in which Sam’s Club extends you financing.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use your personal information to offer and provide you products and services and to support our business functions. These business functions include order and service fulfillment, internal business processes, marketing, authentication, loss and fraud prevention, public safety and legal functions.
Some examples include:
- To fulfill your order or requests for services and provide customer service
- To create and maintain your account
- To conduct auditing and monitoring of transactions and engagement
- To conduct marketing, personalization, and third-party advertising
- To protect the security and integrity of our websites, mobile services and our business, and help prevent fraud
- To update our operational and technical functionality
- To conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, identifying areas for operational improvement
- To conduct research and development
- To fulfill our legal function or obligations
To do the above, we combine personal and non-personal information, collected online and offline, including information from third party sources. We also may transfer or share your personal information within our corporate family of companies, such as with Walmart, Vudu, Moosejaw.com or Hayneedle.com for these purposes, as permitted by law.
Uses of personal information relevant to our specialized operations, such as our health services and financial services lines of business, are described in our notices for specific types of information.
How Do We Share Your Personal Information Outside of Sam’s Club?
All of the categories of personal information that we collect have been shared with other companies, including those within our corporate family, for a business purpose. We will not sell or rent your personal information for monetary consideration. We may share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as to conduct our business, for other companies to offer you and administer your use of co-branded products and services, in the event all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized, when legally required, as described below, or with your consent. We will not share your personal information outside of our corporate family of companies, except in the following circumstances:
We share personal information about you with service providers that help with our business activities, including shipping vendors, billing and refund vendors, payment card processors, marketing and advertising vendors, and companies that help us improve our products and services. We require our service providers to keep your personal information secure. We do not allow our service providers to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf. Your personal information may be stored and processed by our service providers in the United States or other locations where the service providers or Sam’s Club maintain facilities.
If you apply for a Sam’s Club Membership, we may share your personal information with the company that we partner with to offer co-branded credit card programs. In conjunction with the co-branding program, we may receive compensation from the co-branding activity. To help you obtain the highest credit limit possible this may include your Membership and application information. Similarly, if you qualify for a credit account and are not offered a credit account by a Sam’s Club associate we may share your personal information with our partner, so that they may extend the offer of credit as required by law. For more information on how to stop receiving prescreened offers of consumer credit see “What are Your Choices?” below.
Business Member Information
We may share information regarding a Business Membership with the account’s primary member or an officer or principal of the business in order to respond to their inquiry. A non-primary member of the account may request information specific to their purchases.
We may share information about Business Members’ resale merchandise purchases, such as tobacco or candy products, with our suppliers in order to enable them to offer these members discounts or rebates.
Products and Services Offered by Other Businesses
We sometimes enable other businesses to make products or services available to our members. You may purchase products or services from these other businesses at our Clubs or through our websites or mobile services. We indicate when products or services are offered by other businesses and share with these businesses personal information related to your purchase of their products and services.
Legal Requirements and Protection of Our Company and Others
We may share your personal information in other special circumstances, which include situations when the sharing is required by law, or we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of Sam’s Club, our members, our associates, or other persons. Examples include:
- Protecting the health or safety of members;
- Addressing crimes committed on Sam’s Club property;
- Identifying and addressing fraud or financial risk;
- Providing personal information from cameras to law enforcement at their written request;
- Responding to a search warrant or other valid legal inquiry; and
- Responding to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or violation of law.
In the event that all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings), personal information about you could be shared with the successor business. We will use reasonable measures to help ensure that any successor treats your information in accordance with this Policy.
Pursuant to Our Specific Privacy Notices
We have specific privacy notices related to some of our specialized operations. We may disclose personal information for purposes identified in those notices, which arise in those specialized operational areas. These specific privacy notices describe additional or different information practices relevant to those operations. Our specific privacy notices can be found here. For example, as detailed in the Notice of Privacy Practices, our health services operations will disclose personal information to other health care providers for treatment purposes.
Advertising Related Activities
We may share aggregated or pseudonymous information (pseudonymous information includes things like: device identifier, type of device, IP addresses, cookies and other information associated with your browsing and app usage) with other companies, such as publishers, advertisers, measurement analytics providers, and others. We do not share information that directly identifies you (information such as name or email address) with these companies.
With Your Consent
In circumstances other than those described above, we will ask for your affirmative consent before we share your personal information outside of our corporate family of companies, and we will not sell or rent your personal information for monetary consideration.
What Are Your Choices?
You have choices about the various ways we collect, use, and share your personal information.
- We may send you marketing communications. You can tell us your marketing preferences in different ways, including by logging on to your SamsClub.com account and clicking "edit" under Email preferences in the Member profile.
- We also personalize your experience on our sites and mobile services by showing you advertisements from Sam’s Club or our advertising partners that are tailored to your interests. Learn more about interest-based advertising.
- Some of our mobile services use your device’s location information. You can adjust the settings of your mobile device at any time to control whether your device communicates this location information. We may also offer additional controls on our use of your mobile location information.
We want to offer you choices about the different ways we collect, use, or share your personal information. These choices are described below.
When we are sending marketing communications to you, we use the following standards:
- We use an opt-in standard for automated phone and text messages, and for sharing personal information with companies outside our corporate family of companies for their use in direct marketing of their products, such as sending you promotions for their products. Opt-in means we will only conduct the activity with your affirmative consent.
- We use an opt-out standard for phone, email, app notifications, and postal mail. Opt-out means we may contact you, but will stop upon your request (as described below).
Additionally, these standards may not apply to Sam’s Club-branded credit card offerings because these are provided through associated financial institutions. However, you can choose to stop receiving certain prescreened offers of credit that originate from participating nationwide credit reporting agencies, including our prescreened offers, by calling the official Consumer Credit Reporting Industry organization at 1-888-567-8688 or by going to www.optoutprescreen.com.
As a Sam’s Club member, you may update your marketing preferences any of the following ways:
- Online: By logging on to your SamsClub.com account and clicking “edit” under Email preferences in the Member profile.
- By Email: You may email email@example.com for assistance.
- By Mail: Sam’s Club, 2101 SE Simple Savings Drive, Bentonville, AR 72716-0745, Attention: Membership Services
- By Phone: You may call Member Services by dialing 1-888-746-7726.
- In Club: You may request to opt out at the Membership Services desk of your local Sam’s Club.
If you are not a Sam’s Club member and are currently subscribed to our promotional emails, you may update your marketing preferences by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in the footer of one of our promotional emails or by contacting the Mail or Email resources listed above.
If you contact us by email or mail, please be sure to include your full name, membership number, the types of communications you would like to receive or not receive, and your related contact information. For instance, if you would like to opt-out of mail, include your mailing address. Please allow sufficient time for your marketing preferences to be processed. It may take up to ten days to process your requests related to email and up to 30 days to process your requests related to telephone calls, text messages, app notification and sharing information with your consent. Please note that postal mailings are often prepared many weeks in advance, and you may continue to receive mail for six to ten weeks.
Since we do not accept opt-out requests from third parties, such as catalog opt-out services, please communicate your request directly to us through one of the mechanisms mentioned above.
Please know that, even if you opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. Some examples are contacts for member service, product information, service or reminder notices, or recalls. We may also need to contact you with questions or information regarding your order.
Interest-Based Advertising Preferences
We personalize your experience on our sites and mobile services by showing you advertisements that are tailored to your interests. For example, if you browse or shop for electronics with us or on other sites, we may show you ads for electronics as you continue to browse the Internet. For more information about browsing information, see “Information We Receive From You.”
We show you advertisements related to Sam’s Club or our advertising partners. We belong to ad networks that may use your browsing history across participating websites and mobile services to show you interest-based advertisements. You may also see ads for Sam’s Club on participating websites and mobile services based on how you browse. Learn more about interest-based advertising.
Mobile Location Settings
Some of our mobile services use your device’s location information. You can adjust the location settings of your mobile device at any time to control whether your device communicates this information. You will also need to adjust your device’s Bluetooth settings to completely disable the collection of Bluetooth location-related data. See your device instructions to learn more about these settings. In addition, we may offer you controls on our use of your mobile location information. See “What Types of Information Do We Collect?” above for more information on the types of location information we collect.
Device Camera and Microphone
Some of the features on our websites and mobile services may require access to the camera or microphone of your computer or mobile device. You must give your permission before we access your device’s camera or microphone, and you can adjust the settings of your device at any time to control access to your camera or microphone. See “What Types of Information Do We Collect?” above for more information.
How Do You Access and Update Your Personal Information?
We provide you with various ways to access or update your personal information, including contact and account information. We also take reasonable steps to keep your personal information accurate and complete.
You can access or update your personal information, including contact or account information, in the following ways:
- If you have created an account on one of our websites or mobile services, log into your account. Once you do, you will be able to enter and update your own contact information and payment information, as well as contact information for recipients you have designated.
- If you need assistance accessing records related to your Pharmacy or Optical information, please visit the “What Privacy Protections Apply to Specific Types of Personal Information ?” section.
- You can deactivate your Sam’s Club account if you wish. Please contact our Member Service Department by calling 1-888-746-7726 for further instructions about deactivating your samsclub.com account.
Our specialized lines of business, such as health services offer specific methods to exercise privacy rights. For example, our health services operations, such as Sam’s Club Pharmacies, Vision Centers, and Clinics, provide opportunities to access or amend protected health information collected, created, or received by those operations (for example, information collected at a Walmart pharmacy to fill a prescription) as described by the Notice of Privacy Practices. If you need assistance accessing records related to your personal information collected, created, or received by our health services operations or financial services operations, please visit the “What Privacy Protections Apply to Specific Types of Personal Information?” section.
If you are a California resident, please refer to the “What Are Your California Privacy Rights?” section for additional information on your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
How Do We Secure Your Personal Information?
We recognize the importance of maintaining the security of our members’ personal information. We use reasonable security measures, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
We have a team of associates who are responsible for helping to protect the security of your information. Whether you are shopping on our websites, through our mobile services, or in our Clubs, we use reasonable security measures, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards. These measures may include physical and technical security access controls or other safeguards, information security technologies and policies, procedures to help ensure the appropriate disposal of information, and training programs.
To learn more about measures you can take to protect the security of your personal information, please click here.
You can contact the Sam’s Club Privacy Office online or by postal mail.
Contact Member Service for Club experience, marketing preferences, and general feedback/questions.
Contacting the Privacy Office
Email the Privacy Office - Please feel free to contact the Privacy Office with any questions or comments about this Policy or about how your personal information is handled. You can also contact us the Privacy Office via the address below:
Sam’s Club Corporate
Privacy Office, MS #0160
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-0160
What Are Your California Privacy Rights?
California Consumer Privacy Act:
If you are a California resident, you can make certain requests regarding your personal information. We will fulfill each of these requests to the extent required by law.
1. You can ask us what personal information we have about you, including a list of categories of your personal information that we have sold and a list of categories of your personal information that we have shared with another company for a business purpose.
2. You can ask us to delete your personal information.
3. You can ask that we stop selling your personal information.
More information on each of these requests is below.
1. What personal information do you collect about me? If you make this request, we will return to you (to the extent required by law):
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collect your personal information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- A list of categories of personal information that we have sold, along with the category of any other company we sold it to. Any of the categories of personal information that we collect could be included in a sale to other companies, including those within our corporate family. If we have not sold your personal information, we will inform you of that fact.
- A list of categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose, along with the category of any other company we shared it with.
You can ask us to provide you with this information up to two times in a rolling twelve-month period. When you make this request, the information provided may be limited to personal information we collected about you in the previous 12 months.
2. Delete My Personal Information: You have the right to ask that we delete your personal information. Once we receive a request, we will delete the personal information (to the extent required by law) we hold about you as of the date of your request from our records and direct any service providers to do the same. In some cases, deletion may be accomplished through de-identification of the information. If you choose to delete your personal information, you may not be able to use certain website or in-store functions that require your personal information to operate. Deleting your personal information will not cancel memberships you have purchased.
3. Stop Selling My Personal Information: We do not sell your personal information for monetary consideration. However, under some circumstances a transfer of personal information to a third party, or within our family of companies, without monetary consideration may be considered a “sale” under California law. For purposes of California law, all categories of personal information, except for background and criminal information, biometric information, and government identifiers, are transferred to third parties or within our family of companies. Such transfers may be considered a sale. If you submit a request to stop selling your personal information, we will stop making such transfers. If you are a California resident, to opt-out of the sale of your personal information, click “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” at the bottom of our home page to submit your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights. This generally means we will not deny you goods or services, charge different prices or rates, provide a different level of service or quality of goods, or suggest that you might receive a different price or level of quality for goods. Please know, if you ask us to delete or stop selling your data, it may impact your experience with us, and you may not be able to participate in certain programs or membership services which require usage of your personal information to function.
To exercise the California privacy rights described above, please click “Request personal information” at the bottom of our home page or call 1-888-746-7726.
Your California Privacy Rights - Shine the Light
The following rights apply to California residents:
- We share personal information with others outside of Sam’s Club for direct marketing of their products only if we have your affirmative consent (opt in). See “How Do We Share Your Personal Information Outside Sam’s Club?”
- We share personal information with other businesses within our corporate family, such as Walmart, Vudu, Moosejaw.com, or Hayneedle.com
Please “Contact Us” with any questions, or to request a list of third parties to whom we may share personal information for their marketing purposes and the categories of information we may disclose.
How Will I Know if this Policy changes?